My Twenty-Third Birthday

This past week, I celebrated my twenty-third birthday. I wish, as my childhood self would have thought, that I could say I have things figured out or at least half-way figured out, but I truly don't. My childhood self would be pretty disappointed if she knew at 23 she would still live with her parents and that she didn't have her career on a straight path to the top yet. Things will be different for my twenty-fourth; at least I know I won't be living with my parents anymore. That's about the only plan for the next year along with my wedding, but they kind of go hand-in-hand.
Overall, I can say I've learned many things this year from work, school, and my relationships. For one, I've learned that I work best on a daily routine. As my job changed from being a retail salesperson with a variable schedule on the salesfloor, to retail corporate in staffing with my very own cubicle and a 9-6 schedule, I have absolutely thrived. I'm able to cokplete my online school assignments in a much more timely manner and I've had the chance to begin meal planning and cooking for enjoyment. These are things I never thought I would do.
School is always self-reflective for me; while I learn topics I could never observe for myself, I also get to understand how I think of things. I also learn that I am intelligent (or sometimes feel unintelligent) from my grades. I have also learned that it doesn't matter how much you feel like you know: you have to show others what you know and refresher courses and rereading books is always a good idea. By showing others what you know, it's not always showing off; they literally have no other way to know how much you understand if you do not demonstrate your knowledge. Refresher courses may reteach you something you forgot or fully teach you a concept you didn't quite grasp the first time. No shame in rereading a book or textbook to apply that concept to life.
Relationships have gotten to be something else for me this year. With my straight schedule, I've been able to devote some time to actually messaging people or commenting on their posts, rather than just "liking" everything. I hope that my effort to be a friend is actually something they enjoy, since as an introvert, it can be hard for me to tell since I never wanna bother anybody. I had a tendency to feel as if I am bothering people in the past, but now, I just try to give them attention; if they continue talking, it must be fine, so I'll keep talking. I still can't stand small-talk and if I ask how someone's doing, I try to mean it, but other than that, communication in friendships has improved from my awkward highschool and college freshman years.
This is what I've learned in my past year or so of life. Do you agree or disagree? Is there anything you would share based on this? Please start a discussion! I would love to talk with you guys.

Comments

Popular Posts